Discover Michigan City on Instagram Michigan City on Linked In Facebook for Michigan City Residents
Discover Michigan City on Facebook

City Departments - City Attorney - Fast Facts
Mission | Fast Facts | Feedback

Frequently Asked Questions About The City Attorney's Office

Does the Michigan City Attorney’s Office Represent Private Citizens?
No.  The City Attorney’s Office does not represent individuals in private legal matters.  The Michigan City Attorneys represent the City’s elected officials and staff, City Departments, and the City’s independent boards and commissions.

Is the Michigan City Attorney’s Office able to give me legal advice?
The short answer is “No.”  The attorneys within the City Attorney’s Office represent the City of Michigan City and its officials and are not able to provide legal advice to private citizens.

Will the City Attorney’s Office answer simple legal questions and/or explain the law as it relates to a particular issue?
The Attorneys are unable to provide legal advice to private citizens.  However, Legal Services of Northern Indiana, a free service, may be of assistance at 1-800-288-8121.
How do I sue the City?
The City Attorney’s Office cannot advise you or represent you because it is the lawyer for the City of Michigan City.

How do I file a complaint against a Michigan City Police Officer?
Complaint forms are available in Mayor Meer’s Office located in City Hall, 100 E. Michigan Boulevard, Michigan City, Indiana 46360.

How do I make a complaint about a consumer good that I purchased?
Contact the Indiana Attorney General’s Office Consumer Division Hotline at 1-800-382-5516.

My neighbor parks cars on his lawn.  To whom can I report this to?
Please contact the Michigan City Police Department Traffic Division at 874-3221, x319.
How can I obtain copies of City Ordinances?
The Michigan City Municipal Code of Ordinances is available online at or by contacting the City Clerk’s Office at 873-1410.

Other Helpful Resources

Ordinance Violation Court

Ordinance Violation Court is held the first Wednesday of each month at 9:00AM in:

Superior Court
300 Washington Street
Michigan City, IN 46360
(219) 874-3921

Legal Services of Indiana

Legal Services of Indiana provides free legal advice, consultation, and attorney's services. To see if you are eligible, please call 1-800-288-8121 for further information.