Sanitary District office closed due to COVID-19 until further notice
The Sanitary District will continue to monitor calls from :
Sanitary District Main Phone Number 219-874-7799 (24 hours a day seven days a week)
Refuse Department Phone Number 219-873-1530 (7 AM to 3:30 PM)
We will make every attempt to answer your call and continue to provide you the best possible service, but if your call is not answered, please leave a message and we will return your call as soon as possible.
If for some reason you are not receiving the service you need, please call:
219-229-1298 or 219-873-6009 for assistance.
If you have questions regarding billing, please call: 219-877-5327 for assistance.
The Michigan City Sanitary District is responsible for the construction and maintenance of all sanitary sewers and storm sewers within the City of Michigan City Sanitary District, as well as the maintenance of all catch basins, and the treatment and processing all waters within the collection system. The department also maintains all court assigned drainage ditches, a full industrial pretreatment program, and a full service wastewater laboratory.
The Sanitary District also operates and maintains Striebel Pond, a flood control facility that includes family and dog-friendly outdoor recreational spaces for public use, as well as 26.3 miles of walking and biking trails throughout the city.
Commonly Requested Forms & Information
- Karwick Nature Park - Weaver Consultants and Engineers
- Cheney Run Stormwater Project - V3 Engineers
- US Hwy 20 and Striebel Arm Ditch Force Main Rerouting Project - John Doyle & Assoiciates
- South Gate Neighborhood Stormwater Improvement Project(Village Road/Crestwood Drive) - Haas & Associates
Environmental violations are not only unsightly, but they can be serious health and safety hazards. It is against City Ordinance for properties to contain:
- Uncollected trash, garbage, litter, or debris
- Demolition remains
- Appliances or furniture in the yard
- Auto parts and scrap metal
- Grass over 6 inches tall
- Fallen trees, stumps, dead trees, and cut brush