Records Division Services
Hours of Operation: Monday - Thursday 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM; Friday 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM; Closed Saturday and Sunday
The Records Division is located in the front lobby of the Michigan City Police Department.
The Records Division is tasked with all records keeping responsibility for the Department. Services provided include:
- Copies of Michigan City Generated Police Reports
- Handgun Permit Applications
- Parking Ticket Payment
- Employment Background Checks
- Case Report Synopsis (for named parties only)
- Vehicle Inspections and VIN Number Checks
NOTICE: Reports are available three (3) business days from the date reported. Please also note, in some circumstances, you will be required to complete an Access to Public Records Request form. The request will then be reviewed. Once this request is approved or denied, you will be notified in writing of the approval and you may then, with your approval letter, contact the Records Division for the requested item/copies.
Fees for Service
- Accident Report - $8.00 or Online@Buycrash.com - $12.00
- Fingerprinting (Rolled Fingerprints-Not for Handgun Permit Applications) - FREE
- Basic Case Report - FREE
- Additional Public Access Copies - $.10 per page for standard size Black & White and $.25 per page for standard sized Color
- Photographs - $1.00 each
- Computer Disc Copies - $10.00
- Body Camera Video Footage - $150.00
- VIN Checks - $5.00 (Boats or hull crafts are FREE)
- 5-Year State Handgun Permit - FREE
- Lifetime State Handgun Permit - $50.00
- Limited Criminal History - $3.00 NO HISTORY
- Criminal History File - $7.00
- Juvenile Criminal History - $5.00
- Animal License- $3 if Neutered/Spay & $7 if not Neutered/Spay (Proof of inoculations required)
Handgun permit applications are processed on Wednesdays from 8:00 AM - 3:30 PM.
|Type of Permit|| State Fee/Credit Card Fee||Local Fee|
|5 Year Personal Protection||FREE||FREE|
|Lifetime Personal Protection||$75.00/$77.52||$50.00|
|Lifetime Personal Protection (With Current Permit)||$60.00/$62.22||$40.00|
If you currently have a valid handgun license, you will receive a discount on the lifetime permit if you apply before it expires.
The applicant must be a resident of Indiana and should report to the agency that has primary law enforcement jurisdiction of their place of residence. If you live outside the corporate city limits of Michigan City, you must apply at the LaPorte County Sheriff’s Department.
You may renew your handgun license one year prior to the expiration date of your handgun license.
Due to recent changes made to the handgun permit application process implemented by the Indiana State Police, the Michigan City Police Department will no longer fingerprint applicants. Those interested in obtaining an application must do so online via the Indiana State Police website.
Applicants will then need to schedule an appointment for fingerprints at Identogo by Morpho Trust USA, an INKless fingerprinting service. You can make an appointment online or by calling (877) 472-6917. In LaPorte County, an electronic fingerprinting site is located at 506 J Street in LaPorte. Indentogo is a State contracted company and the cost of their service is $11.95 per applicant.
After completing the fingerprinting, you must then come in-person to the Michigan City Police Station with:
- A money order, credit card or cash for the local fee, made out to the Michigan City Police Department or MCPD
- Your photo ID with your current address
- Your receipt from L-1 (MorphoTrust USA)
*No refund will be made if your application is denied by State Police review.*
If you have any questions on whether or not you are eligible for a gun permit, you can contact the Indiana State Firearms Division at (317) 232-8264 and learn more at in.gov/isp/2829.htm.
Parking Tickets issued by the City of Michigan City may be paid during normal business hours at the Records Division.
After hours you may pay at the front desk in the lobby of the Michigan City Police Department.
Payment Forms Accepted
- Personal Check
- Credit Card
- Money Order
- Parking Tickets Paid Within 24 Hours - $15.00
- Parking Tickets Paid Between 25-72 Hours - $25.00
- Parking Tickets Paid After 72 Hours - $50.00
Fingerprinting as part of an employment screening by a prospective employer, or for other background check history and/or immigration is completed in our front lobby, adjacent to the Records Division. There is no fee for this service. Fingerprinting is only conducted during the hours of 6:30 AM and 5:00 PM daily.
Vehicle Inspections and VIN Number Checks
VIN/HIN checks a provided Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM for a fee of $5.00.
You must have the proper paperwork for the vehicle, including the title.
Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) check inspections are required for out of state purchased vehicles prior to being registered by IN BMV. BMV staff may refer you to the Police Department for this inspection prior to being issued a registration.
The most common reasons the BMV requires a identification number check on you vehicle include:
- you purchased a vehicle with an out-of-state title;
- you moved to Indiana from out-of-state;
- you purchased a trailer without a VIN number;
- you built a new trailer; and/or
- you have an error on your title.
For watercraft or un-drivable vehicles or trailers, when an officer is required to come to your place of residence, work, etc within the Michigan City Corporate Limits, the fees must be paid in the Records Division prior to the inspection. You will be provided with a form and a receipt to show the inspecting officer as proof of purchase.