Urban Enterprise Association Neighborhood Beautification Improvement Grant Program
The Michigan City Urban Enterprise Association (MCUEA) has created a Neighborhood Beautification and Improvement Grant Program that’s intended to provide funding assistance and promote neighborhood engagement by encouraging neighborhood groups to participate in beautification projects in their neighborhoods. Qualified projects will be eligible for a 100% match up to a maximum of $4,000. Examples of eligible projects include:
- Enhanced landscaping in public/common areas
- Yard and neighborhood clean up
- Construction and installation or rehabilitation of neighborhood entrance signs
- Exterior painting and repair of distressed properties
- Any creative idea that fits the grant purpose and guidelines
The neighborhood group must be located in the Michigan City Urban Enterprise Zone and the project must be clearly visible from the public right-of-way. Projects must benefit the entire neighborhood and the general public. Proposed projects that solely benefit an individual or select group will not be eligible. Projects must be completed within 12 months of the grant approval. Grant awards will be based on timing of applications received, and annual grant funds available. For 2017 the MCUEA has appropriated $40,000 for this grant program.
Recipients of assistance under this grant will be chosen by the following criteria without regard to race, creed, sex, color or national origin.
- The Neighborhood Group project must be physically located within the Michigan City Urban Enterprise Zone boundaries.
- The Neighborhood Group liason must submit a grant application.
- The Neighborhood Group liason will administer and oversee the work being done and assure that it meets the guidelines submitted in their application.
- The Neighborhood Group liason will submit all expenditures related to the project and proof the expenditures have been paid.
- Submission of before/after pictures to the MCUEA.
- he MCUEA will fund the substantially complete project up to $ 4,000 after final approval.
Process, from Application to Completion:
- The neighborhood group must complete the application form and submit it.
- The Committee will meet to pre-approve the grant and bring it to the full board for approval.
- The neighborhood group will administer and complete the project.
- After the work has been completed, the Association will report back to the MCUEA with a summary of work performed including receipts for expenditures.
- The MCUEA will reimburse the monies to the neighborhood group after approval of expenditures.
Online applications are now available. Projects must be completed by December 31, 2018.
To request a paper application, contact:
Michigan City Urban Enterprise Association
Diane Wilczewski, Executive Director
P.O. Box 43 Michigan City, IN 46361-0043
Phone: (219) 561-6991