Regular Trash Pickup
Trash Pickup Guidelines:
- Trash Must be out by 7:00 AM on service day and within two feet of the alley or curb. If no alley exists, then use the curb/street line.
- Trash must be placed in City-issued container called a Toter.
- All trash must fit within the City-issued container.
- All items placed in your City-issued container should be bagged.
- If you have more trash than what fits in the City-issued container, please make sure it is neatly bagged and placed next to the City-issued container just prior to pick up.
- Any recyclable materials should be placed in your recycling container and will not be taken with regular trash.
- For winter months, City-issued containers must be free and clear of any snow. Toter cannot be emptied if it is frozen to the ground or other hard surface.
- City-issued containers must be accessible and not blocked by any vehicles.
- Do not place the following items inside the City-issued trash collection containers:
- yard waste
- tree limbs
- fluorescent bulbs, LED bulbs, compact fluorescent lap, and fluorescent light ballast
- batteries (household & vehicle)
- used motor oil
- construction and building debris
- recycled material
- prescription medications (only non-controlled substances)
- Household hazardous waste collection does not accept controlled substances. If you do not know if your medications fall into that category, contact your pharmacist or the Michigan City Police Department. Many pharmacies and the Police Department have a drop box where residents can drop off medications, and they accept controlled substances.
- other hazardous material
For new residents in need of a City-issued container, or to request an additional container, please Contact Us.
All trash collection violators will receive a visit from the Refuse Department Inspector and will be afforded the opportunity to remove the violation.
All refuse bags MUST be placed in City-issued containers.
Only City-issued containers may be used for trash collection. If you wish to dispose of old trash cans, please write/paint “TAKE ME” on the cans and they will be removed.
Large Item, Miscellaneous or Yard Waste Extra Pickup
Tires may be placed in a separate pile and the Refuse Department will collect them for recycling. Depending on the quantity there could be a charge to remove the tires. Please call and let us know the location and number of tires to be collected. Contact Us
Construction and Building Debris
The Refuse Department does not collect construction and/or building debris during regular trash pickup. Utilizing a dumpster for collection of building debris is required within city limits.
For more information on construction and building debris removal, please Contact Us.