With the recent extreme cold, Mayor Meer would like to remind the citizens of Michigan City that several warming centers will be open.
Warming centers will be available at the following locations:
- Police Station (24 hours) 1201 E. Michigan Blvd.
- Fire Administration Building (8am-4pm, Monday-Friday) 2510 E. Michigan Blvd.
- Senior Center (8:00am-4:00pm, Monday-Friday) 2 on the Lake in Washington Park
- City Hall (8:00am-4:30pm, Monday-Friday) 100 E. Michigan Blvd.
- Public Library (during regular business hours) 100 E. 4th Street
- Keys to Hope Community Resource Center (8:00am-5:00pm, Sunday-Saturday) 1802 Franklin Street
Mayor Meer urges the citizens of Michigan City to check on family, friends, neighbors, pets, and especially the elderly during extreme cold outbreaks to ensure everyone stays healthy and safe.
Any citizen needing transportation to a warming center may call the M.C. Police Department’s non-emergency number at: 219-874-3221
If you need help keeping your pets warm, you're advised to call the LaPorte County Animal Shelter at (219) 326-1637.