I want to connect to the Sanitary District main sewer line. How do I go about this?

If you know that a residential sewer line is available in the street or alley near the property, you can contact the Sanitary District office at 219-874-7799 to discuss sewer availability tap fees and how to obtain a tap permit. You may also be required, by City Ordinance, to contact the Michigan City Inspection Department for additional permits and requirements. The Sanitary District requires: 1) a valid tap permit prior to the connection to the District main line; 2) that the actual connection to the District's main line be done by a private sewer contractor who is licensed by the City of Michigan City; and 3) that the contractor or homeowner notify the Sanitary District, 874-7799 during regular business hours, for a tap inspection, before the excavation at the main line is back-filled. Failure to obtain the tap inspection may result in additional costs to the contractor or homeowner to re-excavate the tap. 

Industrial, commercial, or residential service out of the City limits should contact the Sanitary District at 219-874-7799, during regular business hours, to discuss sewer availability and/or capacity at the proposed location.

Show All Answers

1. What does the Sanitary District charge for checking or cleaning the District main line and are there any restrictions on what the District can do for me?
2. What are the hours I can call for Sanitary District assistance to check or clean the District main line servicing my home?
3. The drains in my house are plugged or draining slowly. What should I do?
4. I have a bad "sewer gas (odor)" smell in my home. What should I do?
5. I have a problem with my sewer billing. Who should I call?
6. I have water backing up into my home from my sewer drains. What should I do?
7. There is flooding in the street in front of my home or at an intersection near me during a storm event. Who should I call?
8. Do I have to be home when the Sanitary District checks the main line?
9. I am digging on my property. Can you tell me where the sewer line from my house to the District's main is located?
10. I want to connect to the Sanitary District main sewer line. How do I go about this?